Friday, December 22, 2017

Story Time

I think my kombucha was just investigated at the library "and if we can't find the meanings of words at a library we really are a special town" or something like that.
Anyway, I was asked to talk about my first Christmas in Valpo which was after my last Christmas in Indy, when Becky thought that she could drop me off at the complex Christmas party without paying a fee or bringing a gift for the exchange and a man was there with a ventriloquist dummy (I wanted to think it would be less toxic over by the security desk, sketchy though you know, and its not, and he has his walky on full blast, I've heard his walky before it wasn't so loud, they were talking about body fluids and finding the specific name of some cleaning thing, but you know how coded conversations are). Anyway, in Valpo someone asked me if I was getting excited about Christmas and I said in front of quite a few other children to this adult woman that I was not going to think about Christmas this year, that I'd gotten kinda excited about it before and it always kinda turned into a let down, and I was growing up now (I was seven) so I needed to not fall for those kinds of stories and burden people with my expectations. So the town got together and flooded us with gifts somehow, and Heather got sick and started choking on something and it made me sick to my stomach to hear it but I didn't understand what was happening. Later there was a party in the time between falling asleep and waking up and my eyes were closed so I didn't really know what was happening then either, but I've pieced it together since.
One year a few year's back some guy with the last name "Pardo" walked into a family gathering on Christmas day and told people what they had won, and I just giggled.